Friday, January 15, 2010

The Making of Special Kay Part 1



So this is my first real commercial :) and I just can not resist my writing erg to let you all in on the making of Special K!

Last year December I was called in for two rounds of auditions for a Kellogs commercial. But these were not just any auditions we had to learn dance moves. I thought I was a pro at it but when I started rehearsing for the first round of auditions I realised that these moves were a little bit harder. Not because the moves were complicated but the video clip I had got made the moves a bit off beat. Now imagine trying to learn moves when they are off beat, and not only that....I kept getting my left and right hands mixed up coz I was watching a screen and not a person. If it wasn't for Avon, I wouldn't have got the moves right he - filmed and critiqued me every night before the audition..... What a Husband!

On the final round of auditions I managed to mess my moves up big time. They asked for energy and I gave them alot of energy....so much that I lost my coordination all together. I was so embarrassed coz during rehearsal the choreographer had made everyone watch me coz I was smiling and giving it my best. "Guys you got to dance like this girl in red and white, I want you all to just watch her for quickly," she had said. Kanya "Brr". Yet in front of the camera I was a wreck, maybe it was my nerves or the fact that I had learnt 2 different dances to the same music and mixed them both up. I just jumped around with my tight nit afro and my kellogs look-alike clothes. I thought if I didn't get called back everyone would be like...I thought she could "Dance." Quwa Quwa Quwa. I left the auditions feeling really down. I thought I "Had it" but I guess I had to much Special K in me...my mom did always say I was Special. She was right coz I did get called back and I was ecstatic!

Now we all were not sure what the add was about. Originally we heard there were suppose to about 30 girls and I was like gee....30 girls in 30 seconds nobody will see anyone. You might as well be an extra. But it turned out that they narrowed it down to 15 girls and we each had a role to play. We all met yesterday in some shady part of town. It was on the same route I used to go to Scandal shoot but a bit further...an older part of Jozi. When I got to the spot, I parked my car and looked out side... hesitated to step out thinking that I was sure I got the wrong spot. Then I saw one of the girls form the audition. When I first saw her at the auditions I thought she reminded me of a bush baby coz she had these big cute bubbly eyes and a small figure. I rolled down my window and said with a I wanna be someone's friend kind of voice "Hey you here for kellogs right." She replied "Ya and I am so F-word tired, was out partying last night." Okay she didn't look that tired I thought but grabbed my bags and walked with her in.



We walked into this old renovated house with wooden floors. The interior was much nicer than what we saw on the street. The location was a costume Organization. We shyly walked in coz we were actually 10 minutes late and a tall large man with grey hair told us to put our bags down and walk this way. As I walked behind him I noticed that he was a femanine kind of a man. The walk flamboyant but not as far as a gay flamboyance. He took us into the wardrobe section where each of us had a range of clothes under our name and picture. Staring at me from head to toe he said French accent "what is your name". "Kanya" I said...."But you do not look like this Kanya," he grunted with a confused look on his face. "Sorry, its the hair I have it straight but I will change it." "Okay my dear you are the office girl, put this on and this and come out and show me." It was so cool to see what they had chosen for each girl. I was given shorts and a jacket, with some cool high heels. My new "walk-in friend" was a pjamma girl which was so ideal for her character that morning lol. We were in wardrobe for hours. Trying on this and trying on that. My shoes were too big for me but they were all brand new stuff so they could change things at the store. They paid attention to absolutely every detail from the Earrings to the sunglasses and bangles. And the french guy was comfortable adjusting every bit of clothing on us. I comforted myself in thinking that he was gay and took his job seriously.It was so interesting looking at the chosen girls for the add. There were 2 other girls there with afros and I thought for sure they would choose only one of us and not all three of us. I was excited that they were there too coz they had such nice bubbly personalities. One was tall and model like with a bit of Chinese in her the other was shorter and rounder with German blood. We stood and talked about our afros for hours.

Once we were all dressed we got to go in and model for the client. Now these were the top dogs the ones that call the shots. One by one we walked in and they commented on everything. From shoes to hair. I had to tell them that my hair would have no problem going back into a afro :) coz that’s what they wanted.

While we were waiting us "actresses" chatted about where we were from and what we do. I had been called for a GIS interview the day before and I had this feeling of do we follow our passion or do we do what we can to get money? I knew that if I got a full time job doing this commercial stuff wouldn't be easy and maybe this would be the last time. Everyone was shocked that I was 28 years old with a Masters Degree. Something that I guess I take for granted. But what would I do if I was forced to make a choice doing what I am passionate about or doing what I was educated in? We shared our passions and talked about our jobs some were models, one a casting director for children, one a daddy’s little girl (don't need to work), one a Dance studio owner, one bartender. It was obvious to them that you would choose what you are passionate about. My fear was - at what risk?

Our Casting Director was also really cool to chat with. His job is just to make sure us girls know where we are suppose to be and when. He used to be a HR manager and now does this. I could tell he enjoyed his job. It takes a real people person to do it. He was also saying that the Production company that we were working for was also very good! I didn't really need him to tell me that, I could just tell. They were all so nice to me when I messed up my move during the audition and also they chat with us even when we are not working. A company I thought would be nice to work for (career wise).

We had Nando’s for lunch and went over to the dance studio to learn our routine. We all are doing the same dance but in different scenes (I would tell you them all but you wouldn't enjoy the add as much). I made sure I learnt my moves proper this time. I had to leave a bit early coz I had to go drop of Sabrina’s (Miata’s friend) bag at the airport. We have one more rehearsal today and then my shoot day is on Wednesday 20th Jan. Will let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment