Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Making of Special Kay Part 2!


Arriving on set at 5am on a raining Wednesday morning isn't the best of feelings but the thought of being filmed for a real commercial warmed my heart. Avon dropped me off because the location wasn't the best of locations for a girl to be driving alone. We were shooting in a down town loft in Johannesburg. I kissed Avon goodbye, ran across the parking lot and jumped into the elevator. A young scruffy guy jumped into the elevator with me. He was probably one of the set up crew guys but he gave me this excited smile like you must be one of the models. I took a glance at my huge afro and my half awake face, wow I don't look like a typical model/actress and sure didn't feel like one. 

When I got into the apartment people were all in their own world setting up the scene. There were lights, cords and camera stuff everywhere. David our casting director was relieved to see me come in on time and rushed me over for make-up "lovie you are on first so we need you looking good quick!" David said with a morning voice. I plopped down into the makeup chair and had a wonderful lady decorate my face. She was so intrigued by the texture of my hair and asked if she could touch it. All I could think about was how I had to wake up at 3am to make sure my afro was as neat of a afro as possible, curling each curl with my finger and loads of jell.

Once I was done make up the french wardrobe guy glided towards me with my outfit. I had to dressed in a Tent which was being used as a changing room.Very practical i thought too myself!  Once I was dressed and ready the choreographer asked if I had practices dancing in my 6inch heals. I had briefly practiced and even wore the shoes while cooking and cleaning in the kitchen. The shoes were sexy hot and I wished I could have had a pair of them myself. I slipped on my shoes then awkwardly tried to rub lotion into my legs with out getting make-up on my white shirt and then I headed to the scene.

The choreographer went over a couple of moves with me and once i was ready I just stood in the middle of my scene. I took a moment to take it all in while people walked by me as if I was part of the furniture. I looked around and thought may I never forget this moment right here! I absorbed everything the lights the decor the people!  There were two extras in the shot one guy who sat in the desk behind me and then another girl. They were both dressed really smart and business like.... I almost didn't recognize them. 

Then it was time to shoot. The director shouted "Okay Kanya we want personality and energy when you move. We will do two rehersal shots and then get into the actual filming." It was all of a sudden silent and everyone that was walking past me before was now standing at some strategic locaiton - be it behind the lights, camera, radio or TV Even the casual set up crew were just waiting wanting to see what this was all about. I had a moment of "Dear God please may I not mess up my moves, all these people are watching me and I am in 6inch heels....it will hurt." I thought of what Avon told me the night before "Its alot different when you are actually being filmed and the lights are on you!" He was so right, it was different. But I wasn't going to let myself get worked up coz I know I can. My prayer lead me to some peaceful place inside of me and I pretended like it was just me dancing in my own room. I moved like never before, as if I had just had special K that morning!

After the rehersal shots I was breaking out in a sweat. The lights were really heating me up and my goodness it wasn't as easy as I thought. The make-up artist then appeared and fixed my face. The choreographer corrected me on certain moves.  The French wadrobe guy came and adjusted my collar and tucked in my shirt deep into my shorts. I had a giggle thinking the Extra right beside us must be thinking..."talk about invading someones personal space." I cracked a joke and said "I am going to have to tell my husband that another man was in my pants!" but jokes aside - I comforted myself in thinking that this guy was gay and this was his job. It wasn't like he was touching me inappropriately he genuinely was annoyed that my shirt kept coming out while I danced and that my collar shifted every so often. Detail detail detail!!!

I danced my heart out! Seriously by the time the producers were satisfied I was out of breathe, aching and hungry. The heals really made me have a work out. But I enjoyed every minute of it and would do it over and over again if they wanted me too. I was done by 7am and thought gee my husband hasn't even left for work yet! I could just go home and go back to sleep, but decided to sit and watch the next scene. 

The picture below is me having breakfast after a long morning! All in a hard days work :).
Not sure if you will even get to see me in the commercial but I promise you the experience was worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment