Friday, July 9, 2010

"Umm....Sorry Where Do I know You From?"

I am sure we have all had these moments where you have absolutely no clue where in the world you know the person who just greeted you. You stand there thinking heck should I play along coz clearly this person seems to know me well…..or do I just point blank say “Sorry Where Do I Know You From.”

Well there I was standing in the long Woolworths que (line up) in my boxing gym clothes holding my groceries in my hand. Avon and I had come to Woolworths in two separate cars and I realised I had forgotten to buy something so went back and Avon headed home.

Setting the Scene: Now for those of you who don’t know Woolworths … it is the upper class kind of grocery shop of South Africa…almost like a Sobeys in Canada but even more unique. The prices are high the food is top notch quality the veggies are crisp. Man woollies is the place to shop when you got cash. Avon and I usually only go to woollies for something specific or something special. Like if we were having guests over and we wanted some quality dessert…..Woolies is the spot… like the Nandos commercial says….. “Only the best for AmaVisitors!” lol

If you look at the people that shop at woollies they tend to be people who can spend that extra amount for quality. In my 7pm shopping experiences at Cedar Square…I tend to see single coporate people shopping there like the bachelor or the sofiticated lady that isn’t got time to cook. You also see the tourists there. I have also noticed that it also seems to be the pick up spot for single people. In my past 2 woolies experiences I have been hit on twice. So for me I try to make my woollies experiences short…as much as I love the store……I got to worry about over spending and being attacked by old bachelors or even married men which is just sick!

So back to my story: There I am standing in my sweaty boxing cloths holding the last few bits of our shopping items and just resisting to buy sweets….The next thing you know some guy just shouts “HEY Kanya!” and waves at me like he seriously knows me. I turned, I looked, I paused, I think “DAM I have no idea who this guy is” …..My mind goes into photogenic mode thinking of all the people I knew that could fit his description. Maybe he was someone From Zimbabwe, Swaziland…Work???? Shucks my pause time was running short and I could feel the silence from the sophisticated people around me….who are already sensing that I have no idea who he is.

Then I just say to myself… Screw it Kanya…what have you got to loose. So I say it “Ummmm, Sorry Where Do I know You From?” My heart starts racing and I am worried that he will be like “You got to be kidding me!” But the guy starts laughing and says….Don’t worry you don’t know me.. I went to school with Avon. I just saw your husband and he told me to play a prank on you. I got a huge sense of relief and just started laughing and enjoyed a decent conversation with an almost perfect stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment