Friday, June 3, 2011

The Rhythm of My Pregnancy: Name it? (Week 12)

Choosing the name of your child is so exciting but it really gets you thinking: what makes a name? Is it the way it sounds that makes us choose a certain name? Is there a strong story behind the name which puts a value to something that was just a bunch of random letters put together? How did I get my name? Does a name really define a person? How will that name sound when I say it…when others say it?  


I give my mom a lot of respect for choosing to name me Kanyadzo. Not that I don’t like my name…I love it, but wow it is a four syllable name in a language she never even spoke. Well the name means Little shyness but that really wasn’t why they called me that…I don’t think? Coz I was named after my father’s mother who died at the age of 36 (I think) during child birth. Maybe that was a strong enough reason to give me the name because it was linked to a motherly figure a loved one that didn’t live on earth very long. I never met Kanyadzo, my Grandmother, but I have always wondered what she was like as a person? How was her spirit like? Did she like to tell stories, chat with friends and dance like I do?  I mean part of me wishes we were similar but part of me doesn’t…coz would that mean that I would die at 36 or an even more chilling question  …is would I die during child birth? AAAAAA...change subject!

I am not going to tell you guys the names we have yet.....Coz i don't want any name thugs coming around and stealing our specially picked names lol. At our church 30 women would have given birth this year.....so you really gotta what who you tell your chosen name too. I doubt people are like that ...but you just never know these days!

I liked the girl name Avon and I had chosen before we new I was pregnant because it had a meaning for us both but we hadn’t thought of a boys name. Avon made a suggestion and I was quite moved with the name because I had named a toy turtle that very same name when I was in high school and the fact that Avon actually thought of the name on his own made it even more symbolic. But imagine me telling my son that “Yes I named you after a baby toy turtle I named when I was 14!” my son would probably reply unmoved with a "gee how original (brrrr), thanks Mom!" So I did some research and the name meant “My angel.” So I think we are in the right direction….I could tell my son “Son I named you that coz you are my angel, you guide and protect me everywhere I go!”...now thats a Name right there!

Avon’s cousin the other day said “Don’t give your children Long names!” Him and his wife have been suffering doing homework with their 5/6 year old daughter as she would have to write her name out twenty times and it would take for ever. This time consuming process made them wish they had named their daughter a three lettered name. Then again the positive side is the child would learn how to write more letters than just three letters.

I guess at the end of the day whatever we/you choose to name your child would really just grow on you. You would probably reach a point where you couldn’t picture them with any other name and that’s pretty amazing. 

2 comments:

  1. Kanya I love your blog. Great thoughts and stories. All very well done girl !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Kanya,love reading your blogs- they take me back to me being pretty, they make me giggle and make me think-also your enthusiasm and energy inspires me to be were and grateful for all that I have :) keep going,am loving it

    ReplyDelete