Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Nike Run Jozi - Food for Thought

At 2am this morning I was so restless because earlier that evening I was excited that Nike Running South Africa had re-tweeted my blog of the Nike Run Jozi event and now, in the early hours of the morning, I had a flush of thoughts running through my head. So I got up earlier for work and decided I must write these thoughts down before my work day starts.
You are probably thinking …Kanya what could you possibly be thinking of so early in the morning. Well my imagination had invited me to the Nike Jozi Run board meeting and I was presenting LIVE……

Good Morning, it is such an honour to be here presenting a runner’s feedback and perspective on the Nike Run Jozi Event which took place last week. I have jotted down a few Do-Wells and Do-Differently’s and hopefully this will provide some guidance for your future planning.

At the top of your Do-Wells is your Nike Branding strategy. This event is going to be the talk of Johannesburg for quite a while, so much so that next year you can guarantee the signup for the run is going to be so quick and effortless. The Nike vibe and energy was felt throughout the streets of Johannesburg not only from the runners but also the supporters. But we can’t let it just end there we need this energy to keep the hearts of these people hungry for more.

This leads me to my Do-Differently list – Nike Run Jozi needs to impact the people with great power. You should be an Unforgettable brand in the hearts of the runners AND the people living on the streets. I know there are probably many organisations you could give to but let’s try narrow it down to the ones with the greatest impact – The Children. These are the leaders of tomorrow.

You should have seen how excited the kids on the street were to see us running in their hood. Their faces lit up like we were angels out to give them Hope. Hope that their life on the street would change, Hope that someone of importance has taken the time to pass by their house. When I ran and saw 3 kids running beside me on the side walk…dodging the people, bins, pay meters etc I couldn’t help but think of the scene in Slum Dog Millionaire when the children were running through the slums of India….or the movie/book the Kite-Runner when the children were chasing their Kites. It is something so small that takes them out of their current situation and gives them hope in believing that life will get better. And yes we did give them Hope but Nike lets make it better NOW and for next year.

(this is when I turn to a more serious side of my presentation)

Here are some suggestions:

1. Donating to Philile Hillbrow – a pre-school situated in an old children’s hospital on the border of Hillbrow. Gugu Zulu and Letsego Moshoeu, the wonderful Adventure Couple who were also involved in Run Jozi, did the 94.7 cycle challenge in support of this organisation. Last year our life group tried to raise funds for them but I am sure your support would make an even greater impact to the lives of these children. You can read more about our initiative here


2. Maybe next year hand out reflector bands, lights or glow in the dark sticks to the supporters. That would really get the children excited.

3. As a middle class runner I would have easily paid R100 for this event that is R30 more than what we paid. Maybe next year give runners the option of donating to a certain organisation. Or just up the price by R10 that will be approximately R10*10000= R R100 000 of the Runners money which could go in support of a chosen organisation or issue. It would also make the runners feel like they are running for a purpose not just for a Time.

4. Have each watering hole be in support of a chosen organisation. So at 3km the refreshment stand could be in support for an orgnisation that deals with Drug abuse on the street, 6km - Stopping Crime.. Oh you could even have a live performance from some of the singers from SHOUT SA. Just a thought.

Well thanks again for inviting me to this meeting. I look forward to getting more involved with your plans and event strategies. Goodnight…..zzzzzzzz I finally went to bed at 3:30am.

2 comments:

  1. Personally I don't think the performances by the shout artists would benefit the communities but I like the rest of your ideas. Maybe instead to have youths from the areas run the water points and then involve the communities.

    ReplyDelete