Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Rhythm of My Pregnancy: Maternity Fashion Tips (1&2 Trimester)

Being obviously pregnant places some serious fashion questions. Is there a proper way a pregnant lady should dress??? Do we go for comfort, style, price, all of the above or what? Are we expected to look pregnant or not? Can we suffocate the baby with our clothing? All of these are valid questions if you never really had time to think about them before. Well here is how I dealt with them and am still dealing with them. 

Before I was fully pregnant I did some research on what styles could work well for pregnant women. It helped me understand what was “normal” for a pregnant women to wear and I realised that maternity clothing didn’t have to be Sacks or dresses that hid every curve. Nowadays pregnant women are wearing clothing that highlighted their curves. Which I thought was a good thing because it should intern make the mother-to-be more confident and thus comfortable in the season she is in. I mean think about it pregnancy can be quite a difficult season for us…everything is just ballooning out of control..no matter what you eat. So wearing cloths that make the ballooning look good helps! Here are some pretty interesting pro ballooning looks that one could go for:


Now that I am in the season I have put together a couple of pointers/questions which have helped with my maternity wardrobe and maybe it will help new moms in the future:

  1. Am I comfortable in what I am wearing? Cotton feels really good on my skin and helps with the itchy tummy. I wear tights a lot because they are comfortable and have no zip or belt which annoys my tummy. The maternity tights are the best because they go right over my tummy were as other tights I have to wear below my tummy….along with my panty line.

  2. Is their value in my maternity purchase? If I am buying cloths I have to make sure that I will still grow into it and could possibly wear it after birth. This somehow makes me think it is worth the spending the money on the item.....I am a major penny saver. 

  3. With regard to shoes, keeping it flat and stylish is the way forward. I also make sure there is space for some future feet swelling. I never really liked boots with out a heal but wow I am loving them this season.

  4. Is what I am wearing reflective of my personality? Although I may be pregnant I don’t want to be someone I am not and that is very reflective in the cloths I wear because it affects how I feel. I don’t believe I have a huge sense of fashion but I know what cloths make me tick and they sure are not long sack-like dresses which make me look like a hippo. …who knows…maybe it will change as the pregnancy progresses.

  5. Does Siam like it? Siam has a way of letting me know if he/she is comfortable or not. I could wear something in the morning and be fine then Siam would move into a position which makes my clothing super uncomfortable particularly my bra. At around 3pm – 5pm my bra strap has to be loosened or undone. Sometimes it’s the underwear too Siam is against granny bashers or high risers and forget anything with lace.

  6. If nothing else feels comfortable – attack the Hubbies or mothers cupboard? Wow Avon’s jogging pants are super comfy and he now knows which of his cloths are really Mine and Siams! My mothers clothing didn’t last long at all. Her waist line was way to small for Siam and I and I had to return her cloths after a week of wearing them L.
Below are some outfits I have manage to wear comfortably...the white belt is a super stretch. 
1. Maternity night out; 2. Maternity Church style; 3. Maternity in the office



No comments:

Post a Comment