Thursday, April 26, 2012

Selected as a Guest Editor for Essentials Magazine


When I got the call that I was chosen as one of the 7 editors I was ecstatic. I was one of seven Essentials Readers chosen and we all were going to be shot for the cover of the Essentials May 2012 Issue. We were told to be at the studio 8am with no make-up, no products in hair and to bring a gown and there they would reveal who was editing what section of the magazine.

The shoot was on a Friday so I had to take a day off work but I was ready to have a good time on set.  It didn’t matter that this Guest Editor Position was temporary ....I was going to make it real coz it was moments like these that get me excited – something different, something that breaks my everyday 9-5 job. I was also excited to meet the other ladies who were chosen…what did they look like? What was their typical 9-5? How did they get chosen?

The other women were just as excited about this opportunity as I was and it was fun getting to know each reader. We were all unique in our own ways –long hair, short hair, curly hair, tall, short ect. It was funny seeing how uncomfortable most of the ladies were with not wearing make-up and being in public.  Some said they would never leave the house without makeup yet they were all looking really good (in my opinion)….that is why I sneakishly took “before make-up pictures.” It was comforting to know that I wasn’t the only one there with a child under 1 year old. Angela (33) had a 10month old son who she had left at home for the first time….I thought she was doing good on an emotional level. I remember crying my eyes out when I first left Kayla.


During Breakfast Darren had us all listening as he announced each person’s guest editor position....and “Guest Editor for Fashion is Kanya!” I got a choking feeling in my throat and I was sure my heart skipped a beat. Because deep down I didn’t believe I was a real fashionista....maybe I had over acted for my interview.....maybe I was so good at convincing Darren that I had style and funk....when the truth was I generally have no thought to my outfits really...and I have no clue what is IN and HOT, I just go with whatever works. “Ooops Kanya now you have done it!” were the words that went through my head. Why Darren? Why Guest Fashion Editor?
Then he proceeded..... “Because of your bubbly personality and style and funk, we at Essentials thought this would be good for the Fashion Editor who will be dressing 5 other readers in a different photo shoot next week.” I thought “Could personality be good enough for such a position?” I had a brief moment of anxiety.  But I had no doubt that I was here for a reason and if this was where they wanted me to edit...then it must be where God wanted me to be....So I Jumped with excitement as if I had won the Lotto …because you gotta embrace every experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment